Friday, August 7, 2020

Cyclamen purpurascens


The Cyclamen species are probably my foavourite plants and I grew most of the species and subspecies. 

Right now Cyclamen purpurascens and Cyclamen colchicum are in flower. Cyclamen purpurascens is variable in the quality of the flowers. It can be dumpy and with washed out looking flowers, it can be a graceful shape and a full cyclamen pink flowers. The leaves also vary from nothing special to very attractive.

Although Cyclamen purpurascens is widely distributed and grows generally in subalpine woodland, where it is more or less evergreen, but I’ve never found it very easy to grow in the UK. I have had some great plants in the greenhouse in full sun (!) and some outside. I'm now trying it in shade in the greenhouse because the newer plants I am growing don't seem to like the sun. I also have some in a frame and one pot in a shady sand bed. So far I have found Cyclamen colchicum much easier, better germination, better general growth and flowering.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oxalis Clemence Knight

  I'm still probably over fond of the South American Oxalis and the (too) many hybrids. I grow them in pots outside, generally covered i...