Monday, July 20, 2020

Acis roseum

When I first grew this plant it was still Leucojium roseum. For some reason it didn't flower for the first five years but since then it has flowered reliably every year (for the last 20 years). It never increased much or set seed so I got some seed a few years back and they flowered quite quickly.

It's generally regarded as an autumn flowering bulb but usually starts flowering for me in August. This year it's out in July. The leaves are thread lke and generally prostrate. The flower stems are only about 2-3 inches high so overall it is a tiny plant.

Slugs will travel for yards over sand and chippings to get to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Oxalis Clemence Knight

  I'm still probably over fond of the South American Oxalis and the (too) many hybrids. I grow them in pots outside, generally covered i...