Sunday, July 5, 2020

Tulbaghia leucantha H+B 11996

Until last year I'd not paid the Tulbaghias much attention. I was aware of T.violacea and that was about it. Last year I found some plants for sale at a Rare Plant Fair and bought a couple. One was Tulbaghia leucantha H+B 11996. The leaves are grey green grass like, the flowers are tiny and night scented. I managed to lose the first plant I bought so this is a replacement. Not sure what happened, it was kept dry in the greenhouse in the same way I treat Rhodohypoxis. By spring time I found while the roots appeared to be alive the crowns were gone. This year I will keep an eye on them. Maybe it was slugs in the autumn? Generally I'm treating them like Rhodohypoxis, sheltered and dry in the winter and then the pots go out after the frosts have passed to a spot with as much sun as we have. I also have T. cariad and T. montanum. T.cariad is more or less over and T.montana well over.One thing that did surpise me was the sheer amount of root they have. They have huge root systems!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oxalis Clemence Knight

  I'm still probably over fond of the South American Oxalis and the (too) many hybrids. I grow them in pots outside, generally covered i...