Saturday, June 20, 2020

Rhodohypoxis

Rhodohypoxis have been around for a while but I'm seeing them increasingly around in Garden Centres, Plant Fairs etc. I think I started building a collection of them in the mid 90s and had been steadily building up since. Unfortunately a couple of years ago, during the very cold weather, mice moved into the garage where I kept the resting bulbs and in the space of two days 2/3rds of the collection was gone. Some varities were lost completely and large pots of others were reduced to a few bulbs. Since then I've kept the resting bulbs in propogators or in the greenhouse.

There have been alot of confusion over the naming of plants so that many in cultivation are misnamed, plus I lost labels from pots so for the remaining older plants I'm very wary of giving them a definative name.

I've now bought some of the newer varieties and building up the remaining older stock so I'm getting back to the sort of displays I had in years gone by.

There is an excellent article by Chris and Lorraine Birchall who used to run Tale Valley Plants http://www.rareplantfair.co.uk/news-and-articles/rhodohypoxis/

Rhodohypoxis Fred Broome (one of the paler imposters) and unknown, possibly Pictus




Rhodohypoxis Origami
Rhodoypoxis Mars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oxalis Clemence Knight

  I'm still probably over fond of the South American Oxalis and the (too) many hybrids. I grow them in pots outside, generally covered i...