Saturday, June 6, 2020

Delosperma Jewel of the Desert Peridot




Delosperma have become more popular/ available generally I think. Partly a reflection of climate change and general trends.

They come from Southern & Eastern Africa and like a number of plants from the drier regions can be reasonably hardy if they are kept fairly dry. I got a number last summer and kept them under a giant cloche over winter. Apart from slugs having a go at one of them they came through well, but it was a very mild winter.

They are supposed to be selections of D.cooperi but as far as I can tell the naming of these plants in horticulture are often suspect and the genus is still in flux from the naming perspective.

I'm not sure "Peridot" is particularly apt as the gemstone is a olive green tone but I suppose there is a hint of yellow in there. "Citrine" might have been a better name.

Whatever after a bit of an underwhelming start last year this has done quite well in a pot in full sun. The foliage remains tight and the flowering has been quite good. I hope there will be further flowers throughout the season.

They seem easy to propagate by simply pulling the plants apart.

So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oxalis Clemence Knight

  I'm still probably over fond of the South American Oxalis and the (too) many hybrids. I grow them in pots outside, generally covered i...